Monday, April 28, 2008

A look back at a semester of eating healthy on campus

TUCSON, Ariz. – So the journey ends.

The impending end of the semester – and my collegiate career – means the end of this blog on where to eat healthy on campus.

I hope the blog will continue to be visited by future UA students looking for a green place to eat on campus.

I’m happy with the work that I’ve done, navigating through the healthy options at the UA while taking a detour to discuss stadium food, among other things.

For those of you late to this blog, below is a one-sentence summary link of all the blogs I’ve done:

Introduction – What is eating green?

Many celebs, common folks flock to M Café for microbiotic eating in LA

How to eat a microbiotic diet

Cellar Restaurant to undergo health-related renovations

Newly-opened Core offers variety of salads on campus

IQ Fresh: a healthier alternative in the Union

Unions offer gluten-free food

Staples Center not all that healthy

Verizon Center not much better

Pro arenas starting to provide healthier alternatives once you get past the junk

Oy Vey Café offers a vegetarian menu in a family atmosphere

How to be a vegetarian at the UA

Eating green easier for Jews during Passover

I hope you enjoyed reading the blog as much as I did writing it.

My final reflections are that in the four years I’ve been a Wildcat, the student unions have made great strides in becoming healthier. When I made my so-called recruiting visit back in the spring of 2004, IQ Fresh wasn’t even around and you pretty much needed to order a salad that had been sitting out for who knows long to eat healthy.

But with students putting more and more emphasis on living a healthy lifestyle, Union operators such as David Galbraith have taken notice and given them what they want.

I anticipate a similar amount of growth in the next four years to the point that not eating healthy on campus will be a personal choice.

Hopefully that means fewer and fewer students will spend their collegiate careers as Panda Express-gulping carnivores like me.

No comments: